![]() |
| Note to self: My wallet is observing this holiday. |
Anyone who knows me could easily tell you that
I’m all about scouring for the best deal; in fact, I relish in my ability of
doing so. A self-entitled shopaholic, I
spare no expense at allocating lengthy amounts of time trying to achieve personal fulfillment through finding the best price on just about anything. While I often tell myself that it's enjoyable,
I know that in reality it’s a quite vapid and wasteful hobby to be so fond of.
To put it simply: having MORE stuff doesn’t
make me a better person, nor does it make me feel like a better person. So, on all days of the year to go shopping,
you’d think Black Friday Eve (aka Thanksgiving) would be my beck and calling, a
surrendering of my self-entitled shopaholic tendencies. However, my fondness for finding incredible
deals becomes overshadowed by what actually makes me feel like a better person.
And that’s a good conscience.
Now, for those of you who are enticed to scouting
the sales after eating Thanksgiving with your families, please be aware I’m not
criticizing or judging you. I think it’s
unfortunate that so many retailers have made it more difficult for consumers by
offering better sales on that day, sales that make it even remotely affordable
for so many hardworking families to get their holiday shopping done.
However, while there’s pandemonium over door
buster deals and expletives filling the air over the sight of long checkout
lines, remember this:
There’s people who have given up their Thanksgiving to ensure
you successfully complete that holiday shopping by working that day.
It’s a thought that’s enough to keep my
shopaholic self at home, even if my silent protest doesn’t result in retailers
getting the message or persuade shoppers in doing the same. It’s what makes me feel like a better person,
the person I feel more fulfilled in being.
If you are interested in what retailers are closed
on Thanksgiving, you can check them out here.
And if you are among those that are against
the whole connotation that has become of Thanksgiving (Black Friday Eve), you
can add your name to petitions currently filed to influence retailers to let
their employees spend the holiday as it should be spent, by going here.
While Thanksgiving is a time to reflect and be
grateful, it’s also important to note the history of this holiday and why we
can’t forget how it came to be. It’s a thought that has circulated through my
mind often this week, as I can’t help but relate it to the current debate
regarding those who are sacrificing everything to come to the United States.
But that’s another blog, entirely.
Happy Thanksgiving.

I pretty much loved this. I was so sad as not many places had good deals like last year. Last year I saved 2500 dollars! This year only 500. But that's better than none right?
ReplyDeleteThanks for you comment, Chelsea! Wow, you definitely saved a lot last year; I kind of wish I had kept a better track of how much I have saved during this holiday shopping season. But, alas, saving some is certainly better than saving nothing!
ReplyDelete